The Museum Mile is a popular stretch along 5th Avenue that is filled with many of New York City’s best museums along with other fine arts institutions.
The following is a list of New York City Museums located on the Museum Mile:
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum at 88th Street
- Metropolitan Museum of Art from 82-86 Street
- El Museo del Barrio at 104th Street
- Museum of the City of New York at 103rd Street
- International Center of Photography at 94th Street
- Jewish Museum at 92nd Street
- Cooper-Hewitt National Museum of Design at 91st Street
- National Academy Museum and School of Fine Arts at 89th Street
- Goethe House German Cultural Center at 82nd Street
The annual Museum Mile Festival takes place on 5th Avenue. It is traditionally held on the second Tuesday in June from 6-9pm. Over the years, this popular festival has drawn over a million visitors to the various museums that take part in this festival. Festival attendees can walk the Mile from 82nd Street to 104th Street and visit nine of New York City’s finest cultural institutions open free that evening to the public. Several of the participating museums also offer outdoor art activities for children.